Tangled and Existential Crises

This week, I watched Tangled (3D!!!!) with my nieces and nephew (ages 4, 7, and 9). The youngest, Charlotte did not know why we were wearing glasses, and mostly had them off the whole time. I was worried that she wouldn't like watching it, because the movie is completely blurry without the glasses on, but it seemed like it didn't bother her at all!

It reminded me of when I used to go to the 3-D movies and wear those red and blue paper glasses (oh, how technology has changed!), but I wouldn't wear them, because they didn't fit my face! I, too, watched some completely blurry movies. You gotta do what you gotta do to be comfortable lol.

Anyway, I forgot how much that movie makes me FEEL THINGS!!! The part on the lake? With the lanterns? Let me tell you, that is an incredible experience in 3-D. 


I really really connected with the part right before the lanterns come out and Eugene and Rapunzel are just sitting waiting for it to start. Rapunzel looks thoughtful and says, "I've been looking out of a window for eighteen years, dreaming about what I might feel like when those lights rise in the sky. What if it's not everything I dreamed it would be?" 

Eugene tries to comfort her and says, "It will be." 

Then, Rapunzel says again, "And what if it is? What do I do then?"

My man, Eugene says, "Well, that's the good part I guess. You get to go find a new dream."

Anyway, I was sobbing!!!

I feel like I've spent my whole life romanticizing what my future life will be like, when I'm married, have kids, or even just graduating from college. In the past few years, however, as the time for all of these things seems nearer, and yet so much farther away, I've developed fears about it, and they're Rapunzel's word-for-word fears. 

What if marriage/having children/graduating from college isn't everything I dreamed it would be? And what if it IS?? It feels like it's a lose-lose situation a lot of the time! But, in that moment, Eugene's words comforted me more than anything ever has. 

That's the good part..... I get to go find a new dream!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Harry Potter and the YSA Ward House Cup

Seinfeld (at a thirty feet minimum)

A Pandemic of Misinformation