Creating Less Distractions for Myself


The day after our lecture on how distracting our phones and multitasking can be, I decided to utilize Dr. Coyne's idea of turning off my notifications when I'm trying to focus. I didn't put my phone on airplane mode, because it trips out my phone for a bit when I do, but I turned my phone on Do Not Disturb and put it across the room. That day, I got so much homework done, and I was so energized in doing it! 

The next day, because I didn't have too much I needed to get done, I wasn't as excited about the prospect of staying focused, and I got out of the habit. As I was writing this blog though, I remembered my commitment to stop multitasking so much, and I turned my phone and computer on Do Not Disturb again. It has felt good to be intentional with the focused time that I give to tasks. 

I think I might also use my phone to keep my brain awake as I do homework though, so I am honestly nodding off a bit while writing this. But I'm sure that the more I get used to it, the less I will feel like I need to check my phone every minute or two, and maybe I'll even get to a point where I don't need my phone to help me stay awake.

(I promptly fell asleep for two hours immediately after this was written. rip.)

Comments

  1. Good for you for implementing what we learned! I haven't been super good about trying not to multitask after that lecture, but I did set up a bedtime thing on my phone because I feel like that is where I struggle most. I turned this feature on where my phone turns on Do Not Disturb at a certain time and basically locks my apps at my decided "bedtime" in order for me to wind down. It is enabled all the way until my alarm goes off in the morning and then it automatically unlocks. It has been so nice to get (at least) 8 hours of sleep every night because I'm not scrolling through Instagram until 12:30!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Props to you for actually doing this! Honestly I am the same way and totally use my phone to keep me from falling asleep or giving myself a much-needed distraction when I'm getting bored. I should really try putting my phone on do not disturb. You're an inspiration haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's the "I promptly fell asleep for two hours" for me

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Harry Potter and the YSA Ward House Cup

Seinfeld (at a thirty feet minimum)

A Pandemic of Misinformation