Harry Potter and the YSA Ward House Cup

Honestly, this semester I was so worried that I wasn't going to feel very connected to my ward. In the past, we've had so many activities and game nights and whatnot, but we, understandably, aren't allowed to do too much anymore because of COVID regulations.

Then our Activities Committee came up with this idea of a Harry Potter competition. 

On Sunday, we had our sorting ceremony. Bishop and his wife were dressed up as Dumbledore and McGonnagal and each FHE group was sorted into a Hogwarts house. My group was sorted into Slytherin, which was exactly what I wanted!! 

I recently realized that my name (erin) is even inside of the word (Slytherin), but I've never been able to claim the house because I truly am a Hufflepuff through and through (repeatedly proved by online quizzes, including the official Pottermore), and if not a Hufflepuff, usually a Ravenclaw. Now that the sorting wasn't determined by personality traits, I was finally put into the coolest house (JK Rowling gave Slytherins a bad rap and I may never forgive her for it).

Monday, we had our first activity with "dueling" (rock-paper-scissors) and Harry Potter trivia. Our team won the trivia which won us 50 house points.

This semester-long theme has given us all something to talk about besides COVID, and it's made a lot of people feel passionate about a common cause. There's some inter-house tension of course (Hufflepuff is our biggest rival), but also intra-house camaraderie that I didn't expect to happen! The combination of nostalgia for the story and competitiveness is bringing out the fun side in people (even me, who isn't great at competitive activities).

We definitely use media to relate to people, especially with things as widespread and relatable as Harry Potter! I am so glad I've been able to connect with my ward a lot more because of it. Go Slytherin!

Comments

  1. This is so fun!! I love that part of the goal was something to talk about besides Covid, because I feel like that totally takes over so many conversations. I also like that this game is competitive but also brings people together at the same time. Just think if Harry Potter had never gotten so big, this wouldn't be possible. So a win for media!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Harry Potter is so awesome! I think its so cool that so many people can bond over Harry Potter- something that started as a book series but has grown into something so much bigger! It has influenced so many people because of the books, plus Pottermore, the movies, and Universal Studios. Harry Potter (and various forms of media) brings people together :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love hearing about how media can be used as a common ground and a way for connecting people. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Seinfeld (at a thirty feet minimum)

A Pandemic of Misinformation