Gilmore Girls: A Day in the Life (of Erin)

This week was insanely busy for me. I was behind on everything and I was so anxious that I wasn't going to be able to catch up. I was very VERY behind on sleep. I hadn't gotten more than 6.5 hours of sleep in a few weeks and my meals got less and less nutritious. Honestly, it got to the point where I was skipping meals because I didn't have time to make anything. 

Anyway, all this stress culminated to a point yesterday when I just felt awful. My body was struggling, I felt nauseous but also hungry... I had gone to bed knowing I would only get six hours of sleep, but I woke up from stress over and over again in the night. When I woke up, I felt depleted. I felt run down, tired of trying, and I didn't want to keep going, but I had a busy day ahead of me.

I felt my anxiety getting progressively worse. Usually, in those situations, I try to meditate to calm my mind down and re-center myself, but I knew if I meditated, I would just fall asleep from sheer exhaustion, and I didn't have time for that.

I needed an option that would let my mind rest but not let me fall asleep, and I thought, why not watch a few minutes of a show that makes me happy?

So, I turned on Gilmore Girls 





Gilmore Girls is one of my all-time favorite shows. It has the nostalgia factor, it feels like fall, and it has witty quotes like no other show has had before. I don't feel blissfully happy about much right now, but I often feel that way about this show. 

I've never been one who turned to shows for acute escapism, but it was nice to just be able to turn my brain off for a few minutes. Watching it didn't cure my anxiety or take away any of the things I needed to do, but it was an opportunity to get out of my head a little by doing something that I enjoy. If you haven't seen it yet, you really should. I'm about to go rewatch it right now, myself, just from writing about it. 

And, even if you feel like this when someone asks you your 5-year plan:



And even if your day feels a little like this:


Gilmore Girls will always be there for a warm hug





Comments

  1. Erin, I really enjoyed reading you post. The last time I watched Gilmore Girls was ALSO because I couldn't sleep! Woah! I think its really fascinating that being entertained is one way our brain can be recentered. Even though it didn't take away your stress and worries, it brought you back to focus, so to speak, which is super interesting! Like you said, moments like these are only short term fixes, but it made a difference when you really needed the help. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin, I haven't ever watched Gilmore Girls but now I'm super curious to go see what it is that is so relaxing for you! I always turn to New Girl or Grey's Anatomy when I need a mental break haha. I think my imagined relationship with the characters is comforting and that's why it feels like a break when I am stressed. I hope you are feeling less anxious now and have gotten more sleep and food!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! I loved all of the little gifs you've put in here. I haven't seen this show in so long, but reading this post it really makes me miss it! It really does feel like fall and it makes me feel like now is the time of year that this show should be watched! I hope that you feel better soon though! But I'm glad you've got this show to help you out!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Harry Potter and the YSA Ward House Cup

Seinfeld (at a thirty feet minimum)

A Pandemic of Misinformation