Cardigan by Taylor Swift

 This week, I went on a date to an obscure little restaurant. I was a little worried about the food quality because it was a vegan food place. It ended up being fine (aggressively fine). BUT in the middle of the date, I heard the sound of high heels on cobblestones, and I stopped eating immediately. Because that's the intro to this song

Soon, I heard Taylor Swift's voice, and my mind went completely blank. I've been on a date with this guy before, so he knows how much I love Taylor Swift, and said, "It's okay, you can cry"

And I did. I really did! Because it's my favorite song from Taylor Swift's newest album, folklore, and I was Not Expecting to hear it that day. That's the thing, your favorite song/artist means so much more when you don't expect to hear it that day, but then you DO. I had also never heard any songs from folklore on the radio before, so it really caught me off guard!!! Anyway, I'll leave you with the best lines from the song (accompanied by memes that describe how I feel when I hear these lines), because Taylor really outdid herself with this one.


'Cause I knew you

Steppin' on the last train

Marked me like a bloodstain

I knew you

Tried to change the ending

Peter losing Wendy

I knew you

Leavin' like a father

Runnin' like water (!!!!)

And when you are young, they assume you know nothing

But I knew you'd linger like a tattoo kiss

I knew you'd haunt all of my what-ifs 

The smell of smoke would hang around this long

'Cause I knew everything when I was young

I knew I'd curse you for the longest time

Chasing shadows in the grocery line

I knew you'd miss me once the thrill expired 

And you'd be standin' in my front porch light

And I knew you'd come back to me

I really thought I would only leave you with a few lines, and then I realized that the whole bridge was crafted by the hands of an angel and I couldn't split it up. So, there you go.

I could also probably say that this song reminds me of my toxic cheating ex who literally just came back and told me that he misses me AGAIN this weekend, but where's the fun in that???

Comments

  1. this post is KILLING ME.

    (it's the fact that you cried over Taylor Swift on a DATE for me)

    the beautifully-crafted sentences, the perfectly descriptive memes -- constantly raising the bar for us all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang this post was too much for me. I'm sorry your ex is a jerk and that you cried on a date (I think, but maybe it's a good thing?) but I've been trying to get into somewhat respecting Taylor Swift and this is a good place to start. I'm glad (?) listening to TS helps you work through your feelings.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Harry Potter and the YSA Ward House Cup

Seinfeld (at a thirty feet minimum)

A Pandemic of Misinformation