A Jazzy, Snowy Morning

 On Sunday, I woke up to a text from my friend with this gif:


For reference, Lorelai (in pink) loves the snow so much that she can smell when it's about to snow for the first time every year. My friend and I both LOVE Gilmore Girls and the snow, so every year when the first snow happens, we send each other something related to it.

Anyway, usually when I wake up, especially on a weekend day, I spend at least half an hour on my phone before I get out of bed (please don't judge me lol). But not that day. I saw her text and immediately popped out of bed and ran downstairs so I could sit on the couch and watch the snow fall. 

When i got downstairs, my roommate was chopping vegetables to go in her crockpot very loudly. Usually I like to sit in silence as I watch the snow, because it's so peaceful. But I couldn't handle the sound of the knife on the cutting board being my only noise I was listening to, so I went back upstairs and grabbed my headphones before going back downstairs again.

I wanted something that would feel calm and magical, so I turned on my classy playlist, which is basically just old jazz songs by artists like Frank Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald, and Nat King Cole. It made me feel like Christmas without listening to actual Christmas music (I'm usually pretty adamant about Christmas music waiting until after Thanksgiving). 

When my roommate finished up, she went upstairs, and I made myself some hot chocolate and toast for a light breakfast and sat and watched the snowflakes float past the window. Of course, the snow didn't last very long, but the music heightened my emotions and really made me excited for things to come. 

Even though the cold can be tiring and miserable, I probably use music to romanticize it and make me excited for it. Maybe I'm just tricking myself into being happy, but it works, so who am I to stop it??

Comments

  1. I don't think you are tricking yourself into being happy. You are just using media in a positive way to lift your mood. I like how you are so excited to see the first snow fall of every year. When I saw the snow on Sunday, my immediate thought was "Ugh!!!!!!!!" Maybe next time I should take the time like you did to appreciate the snow's beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin, I loved this experience that you shared! It made me think about my experiences with snow and how it does feel so magical, especially the first time each winter. It also made me think about how media has influenced my feelings towards snow. In movies and shows, snow is always so magical, dreamy, even romantic. I think it's funny that the music you played totally fits what we see in media in relation to snow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful!! Man, I get so jealous of everyone's writing skills. :) Sending each other a text for the first snow sounds like an amazing friend tradition. To be honest, I get really discouraged by the cold but the silent world that comes with a gentle snowfall is one of the few upsides to winter. I felt peaceful reading your description of your calm, magical morning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can I watch the next snowfall with you?? It sounds so romantic! And I promise I'll drink hot chocolate with you this time. Deal?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this so much! I love the snowfall as well and definitely spent almost a full blissful hour just watching the snow fall past the window this morning. I think the music definitely adds something to the experience. I mean music in general makes me feel happy, but when I'm doing something that already makes me happy and I'm listening to music it just makes it all the better. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow so many things about this post I relate with. I also love Gilmore Girls and the first snowfall. I also don't love Christmas before Thanksgiving (That's just not fair to overshadow Thanksgiving! haha) BUT for some reason when it starts to snow I get all excited for Christmas and have to stop myself from putting the Christmas music on and buying tons of Christmas decorations! I agree with you that music does make some things so much better :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Harry Potter and the YSA Ward House Cup

Seinfeld (at a thirty feet minimum)

A Pandemic of Misinformation