Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella (1997)

 Okay, I know all of my avid followers (lol) were really looking forward to a post on Draco Malfoy after I mentioned him last week. Well, apparently I have too many thoughts about that subject and I didn't have time to write them all out. So, for now, instead of writing about Bad Boys, I will write about a very and pure movie:

Disney's 1997 Rodgers and Hammerstein Cinderella, starring Whitney Houston as the fairy godmother and Brandy as Cinderella. 

This iconic duo absolutely killed the game.

When it comes to nostalgia, I'm all on board, so with my sister in town this week, I decided to take a shot of serotonin and watch this movie.

First, the best part of this is that this man








is the biological son of 

this woman and this man (couple goals).

I love a good color-blind cast. It brings me a lot of joy, honestly, knowing they found the best person for each role, and not just the best white person. I just like to laugh about the fact that I didn't notice this at all when I was younger. Ah, the innocence of youth.

Okay, moving on, this movie, originally a musical from way back when, added a few lines that had me cheering.

Cinderella: I doubt [you have] any idea how a girl should be treated (Lol girl call him OUT)

Prince Christopher: Like a princess, I suppose

Cinderella: No... Like a person--with kindness and respect.

The way I screamed when I heard this. That's the ENTIRE POINT. I don't want to be lifted up on a pedestal and glorified as a woman. I don't want people to revere me because I (potentially) have the ability to create life. I don't want them to respect me because they remind me of their mother or sister. I want their respect because I'm a person. A living, breathing person with ideas, and goals, and strengths, and fears, and dreams, and weaknesses! Someone who deserves kindness and respect just for living.

Anyway, we don't really know if the Prince learned his lesson, because the next thing he does is get bored by all of the other women in the kingdom at the ball by NOT TALKING TO THEM AT ALL. Then, when Cinderella arrives, he is enamored by her, and insists for the rest of the movie that she is Not Like Other Girls™ (which is honestly a red flag for me).

So, clearly, he has room for improvement. But... still. How can you resist this face 

Comments

  1. Erin I love this musical! I went to see it last summer at the Hale Center Theater in West Valley, and I was so surprised by the good message and theme of equality. It was surprisingly refreshing after expecting it to be just like the movie. I really like what you have to say about equality, because sometimes I do expect to be treated like a princess. But the most important thing is to be treated like an equal, so thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Harry Potter and the YSA Ward House Cup

Seinfeld (at a thirty feet minimum)

A Pandemic of Misinformation